Taking a Choir practice – made easy
The first time I took a choir practice I was just sixteen years old. I walked into a room full of staring eyes and I was terrified!
Some people were talking, some came in late, and they were all probably wondering who this young whippersnapper was, and what could he teach them with all their church choir experience?
As I tried to look as if I knew what I was doing, thoughts were racing through my mind: “How do I get started? How do I get through this? … How do I get out of here alive?” Further thoughts crowded in on me as I tried hard to look a little bit older: “Will the Choir do what I ask? Will they laugh at me?” or – even worse – “What if they make fun of me?”
I needn’t have worried. What started out as a frightening experience turned out to be most enjoyable – in fact, it totally shaped my life.
Have you ever found yourself in this situation? Or perhaps you want to start a choir and you’re just not sure how to structure a choir practice? To start with, think positively! The singers are there in the rehearsal room because they chose to be there, and it’s just possible they’re more worried than you are.
They want to be inspired, to have a good sing, to be excited - moved even - but most of all they want you to succeed because … if you don’t, then none of those other things can happen.
They will become your friends, and will eventually give you a loyalty that will enrich your life. I still have choir friends made over fifty years ago: friends who will do anything for me – friends whose friendship is of immense value. This is what you can look forward to, but first things first: how do you start the choir practice?
Choir Practice has to be fun!
If you want to keep the choir’s attention, get them to turn off their cellphones right at the start. And wherever possible, make them laugh! They’re volunteers, and they’ve come out to choir practice when they could have stayed home and watched television. You have to make it enjoyable, but whatever you do – don’t make them giggle!
As a boy I sang at an important funeral. Somehow giggles erupted and the choir nearly came to a stop. In those days, punishment was rough and ready, and some of us had trouble sitting down afterwards!
Things were more relaxed when one of the guests at a wedding got the giggles. It quickly spread through the church like an epidemic so that soon everyone was giggling – including the wedding couple and the priest! The wedding vows were taken to the sound of giggles and guffaws. It was impossible not to join in and I only just managed to stumble through the Wedding March!
Practice makes Perfect …
After putting the singers at their ease with a bit of laughter, try some warming-up exercises. They needn’t be all vocal exercises. You can use some simple breathing work and a bit of movement to music. Singing is a highly physical occupation, so a lively dynamic warm-up is helpful.
Tongue twisters sung quickly are always good fun at choir practice. Here are some of my favourites: “Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers” and “Red lolly, yellow lolly” (try it fast!) Invent some yourself and get the choir to come up with some new ones.
Choirs are full of eccentrics, many looking for a kind of music therapy. Spend time getting to know the individual quirks of choir members. Who won’t sit next to who at choir practice, for instance, where the personality clashes are, and who won’t share their music. Some are obsessed with choir dress and some with discipline. That’s all part of the fun – enjoy it and humour them!
Time to Start the Music
Practice something cheerful at the outset – definitely not something miserable … you can keep that for later on.
Taking a choir practice is like driving a car: avoid hazards, change gear correctly, give way at the right time, indicate clearly, and don’t crash! Study the map and know where you’re going. This one is particularly important, because the choir must never be allowed to suspect that you don’t know what you’re doing. Don’t let them doubt your infallibility – given half a chance they will!
When you prepare a piece, work out where the difficult bits are. Leave these until you have the choir’s complete attention. It’s often useful to say, “Let’s just get this bit right tonight.” Always give the singers a well-defined goal, and make sure they leave with a feeling of achievement ... but remember that by the next choir practice most of them will have forgotten what you’ve taught them.
In the end the singers should leave the choir practice happy and exhilarated. You should leave the choir practice happy, exhilarated … and exhausted. So go to the coffee bar or the pub with them, make friends, relax, laugh and joke.
Next time the choir practice won’t be nearly so frightening.
(sumber dari Internet, dikirim liwat milis tetangga)
- Yesus, Kekasih Jiwaku (Jesus, Lover of My Soul)
- Buat pelatih baru (For the new conductor & trainer...
- Ratapanku Jadi Tari Pujian (Mourning into Dancing)...
- Engkau Mulia Disini (Awesome in This Place)
- Persembahan koor ?
- Nyanyi dan Bersoraklah (Shout to the Lord)
- Kau Yang Ku Perlu (You Are All I Need)
- Mengenal Paduan Suara
- Engkaulah Hidupku (You Are my All in All)
- I Just Want to Sing in a Choir
- Melatih Paduan Suara yang buta not
- Kau Angkatku (You Raise Me Up)
- Mezbah Ampunan (Table of Grace)
- Kini 'Ku Menyembah (Here I Am to Worship)
- Musik Etnis Sebagai Musik Gereja
- Penuhkan Cangkirku (Fill My Cup)
- Selaksa Tahun (For Eternity)
- Sambut Dia Cahaya Abadi (Shine Your Lights)
- Bawa 'ku (Carry Me)
- ▼ July (19)
Utk mendengar sample lagu : klik pd lagunya, scroll cari audio preview/realplay judul aslinya.
- Ada AnakMu Perlu Tuhan (One of Your Children Needs You, Lord)
- Ada Jalan Ke Surga (Highway To Heaven)
- Ada Sukacita Didalam Kasih Tuhan (There is Joy in the Lord)
- Agung Tuhanku (Our God is Mighty)
- Agungkanlah NamaNya (Lift Up His Name)
- Ajaib Benar Kasih Allah (God's Amazing Grace)
- Ajaib Tuhan (God's Love)
- Akan Ku Ikut Kau Sepanjang Waktu (High and Lifted Up)
- Aku Bersyukur (God Does Great Things)
- Aku Percaya (Because We Believe)
- Aku Perlu Engkau, Tuhan (I Need You)
- Aku Tuhan Semesta (I Will Follow)
- Akulah Dia ( I Was the One)
- Allah Maha Kuasa (Our God is Mighty)
- Bahagia Ku Kenal Yesus (I'm Glad I Know Who Jesus Is)
- Bangkit dan Puji (Rise Up and Praise)
- Bangkitkan, Tuhan (Let My Life Praise You)
- Bawa 'ku (Carry Me)
- Bawa Bebanmu PadaNya (Come With Your Burdens)
- Bila Kuingat Tuhan (When I Think About the Lord)
- BilurNya Menyembuhkan (By His Stripes We Are Healed)
- DamaiNya Indah (Glorious Peace)
- Datang Di Rumah Tuhan (Come Into the House)
- Datang Pada Tuhan (Come Into His Presence)
- Datang Pada Yang Maha Suci (Holy of Holies)
- Datanglah Engkau (Come Just As You Are)
- Dimanapun Kau (Wherever You Are)
- Engkau Bebas Karena KasihNya (Freedom)
- Engkaulah Raja Bagiku (Jesus the King)
- Hai, Mari Datang Menyembah (Come to Worship)
- Haleluya Bagi Sang Domba (Lamb of God)
- Haleluya Penebus (Haleluyah, What a Savior)
- Haleluya, Pujilah (Praise the Lamb)
- Hanya Kau Tuhan (God Alone)
- Hosana, Yesus Bangkit dan Menang (What the Lord Has Done For Me)
- Hosana, Yesus Menebus (What the Lord Has Done in Me)
- Indah Nama Yesus (Name Above All Names)
- Ingat KasihNya (Think About His Love)
- Jadikan 'Ku Tempat Kudus BagiMu (Sanctuary)
- Jauh Melebihi (Above All)
- Kala Jumpa Yesus (Heavenbound)
- Kasih Yang Bertumbuh (Love Grew Where the Blood Fell)
- KasihMu Mengharuku (Your Love Still Amazes Me)
- Kau Curahkan BerkatMu (We Gather in Your Presence)
- Kau Rajaku (My King)
- KeindahanMu Tak Terkatakan (Beyond Description)
- Kidung Penyembahan (The Heart of Worship)
- Kini Tuhan, Ku PerlukanMu (I Need You More, medley)
- Kita Muliakan Nama Tuhan (Glorify Thy Name)
- Kita Warga Tuhan (We Are One)
- Ku Datang, Tuhan, Ke Dekat SalibMu (I Come to the Cross)
- Ku Mau Pandang Yesus (I Want to See You)
- Ku Melihat Tangan Sang Bapa (I Can See the Hand)
- Ku S'lamat Oleh KasihNya (Saved by Grace)
- Ku Sembah Kau Tuhan (We Worship You)
- Kuasa Dalam DarahNya (Power in the Blood)
- Kuasa KasihMu (Your Love Surounds Me)
- KuasaNya Membuka Jalan (His Strength Will Make a Way)
- Kuatlah dan Tabahkan (Take Courage)
- Kudus dan Setia (Holiness)
- Kusaksikan Tuhan (Trusting God)
- Kutinggalkan Semua (I Leave it All Behind)
- Maha Baik, Tuhanku (God is Good)
- Mahkota Raja Mulia (Crowned with Praise)
- Mari, Datanglah (An Invitation)
- Mereka Yang Teguh (These Are They)
- Nafas Kehidupan (Breathe)
- Nyalakan Apiku (Turn Me On, Light Me Up)
- Pelitamu Bersinarlah (Go Light Your World)
- Penebusku Setia dan Kudus (Faithful and True)
- Percaya HatiNya (Trust the Lord)
- Puji Nama Yesus (Bless His Mighty Name)
- Pulihkanlah Jiwaku (Restore My Soul)
- Putera Surga (Heaven's Child)
- Raja Abadi (He's Worthy)
- SalbMu, Tuhanku (The Wonderful Cross)
- Salib di Kalvari (The Cross of Calvary)
- Salib Kudus (O Mighty Cross)
- Sambut Dia (Shine Your Lights)
- Sang Raja Datang (The Last Days)
- Sebutlah NamaNya (Speak His Name)
- Selaksa Tahun Kupuji NamaNya (For Eternity)
- Seluruh Diriku Kuserahkan (All of Me)
- Seluruh Hidupku (Our All in All)
- Suci, Engkau Suci (Awesome and Holy)
- Sukacita Dari Tuhan (The Joy of the Lord)
- Tiada BandingMu (There Is None Like You)
- Tiap Jam DenganMu (Each Moment With You)
- Tiap Langkah Kau Pimpin (Step by Step)
- Tuhan Maha Suci (God is Holy)
- Tuhan, Betapa IndahMu (Great and Wonderful God)
- Tuhanku, Rajaku (Lord and King)
- Tuhanlah Kekuatanku (Song of Trust)
- Ubah Hatiku, MendekatiMu (You Are the Potter)
- Yesus 'Kan Datang Lagi (We'll Rise to Meet Him)
- Yesus Ada Disini (Jesus Is Here)
- Yesus Dasar Yang Teguh (Firm Foundation)
- Yesus Hidup (Je
- Yesus Nama Terindah (Jesus, Name Above All Names)
- Yesus T'lah Menebus (Jesus Saves)
- Yesus Terang Dunia (The Light)
- Yesus, Bahagia Jiwaku (Joy of My Desire)
- Yesus, Kau Hidupku (You Are My Life)
- Yesuslah Raja Semua (The Lord of All)